Bookmark and Share
  • Youtube

    Go to Youtube channel

Eligibility and the Application Process for an OQU Assessment

To be eligible for an OQU assessment you must live in Victoria and be one of the following:

  • a permanent resident of Australia (living in Australia for less than two years)*, or
  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand (living in Australia for less than two years)*, or
  • a spouse of an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen on a provisional visa.
Australian citizens may be eligible for an assessment within two years of returning to Australia to settle permanently. Australian citizens must have completed their tertiary studies overseas and have been issued with the final award certificate requiring qualification assessment.

The OQU does not assess:

  • Australian degrees or qualifications
  • Overseas short courses (less than one year full time study), or single-subject certificates or diplomas
  • Overseas licenses, permits or work experience documents
  • Overseas apprenticeships or trade qualifications.

Please note that there is a limit on the timeframe for an OQU assessment.

Eligible applicants must obtain their Assessment Advice within a period of two years after the date of:

- their initial arrival into Australia with a permanent visa
- their initial arrival into Australia with Australian or New Zealand citizenship. Evidence of this date is required (eg certified copy of a passport showing the entry or exit stamp or an airline ticket; or
- the onshore grant of a permanent visa (for residents who have been granted a permanent visa in Australia. These are mainly people who have first arrived in Australia either on a temporary visa or seeking refugee status).

Humanitarian and refugee visa holders are exempt from this timeframe limit.

How to Apply for an OQU Assessment

1. Complete the Application form.

Overseas Qualifications Assessment Application Form (DOC 239 KB)  

2. Prepare the following documents:

  • Certified copies of your passport identifying page and visa to show you are permitted to live permanently in Victoria. Indian passport holders are also required to send of copy of the last page of their passport
  • Certified copies of your final award certificate (degree certificate) in original language and official English translation (if applicable)

  • Certified copies of your academic transcript of subjects (mark sheet) in original language and official English translation (if applicable)

  • A certified copy providing evidence of a name change (if applicable) i.e. marriage certificate
  • Proof of Victorian residential address e.g. copy of drivers licence, utility bill etc.

Please ensure all documents have been properly certified and translated where necessary.

Please do not send any original documentation. OQU will only accept certified copies.

3. Ensure you have all the required documents. 

OQU will only assess complete applications.

4. Submit your application via mail (post) to:

Overseas Qualifications Unit
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
PO Box 4509

5. Assessment Outcome

All applicants will receive an electronic assessment outcome. If you require a printed copy, please advise us by selecting an appropriate option on page 5 of application form or by sending an email.  


Assessment can take up to 12 weeks.