Bookmark and Share
  • Youtube

    Go to Youtube channel

Tailoring a Qualification Assessment to your Needs

In Australia, no single authority assesses or recognises all overseas qualifications. Many professional, government and other organisations are involved depending on a number of factors including:

  • whether you plan to migrate to Victoria to live (but do not intend to work or study in Victoria)
  • whether you seek to undertake employment in Victoria
  • the type of qualification (e.g. higher education qualification, secondary school qualification, short course qualification, trade qualification)
  • the industry and/or professional body requirements for specific occupations.

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to contact different organisations or institutions.

Use the following information as a guide to determine if you need an assessment from the Overseas Qualifications Unit.

Do you need an assessment for migration purposes or to make a decision about migration to Australia?

To find out about how to get a skills assessment for migration purposes see the skills assessment and assessing authorities information on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Do you need an assessment for working in Australia temporarily?

To find out more about working in Australia or Victoria for a limited period of time, e.g. for a working holiday, see the Visas for Working Holiday Makers page or visit the following pages on the DIBP website:

Do you need an assessment for employment in a regulated profession?

Some occupations require professionals and tradespeople to gain registration, membership or licensing in order to undertake work in Australia or Victoria. Different professions and trades often have different licensing and registration requirements across the various states and territories in Australia.

To find out more about registration, licensing and other requirements for specific occupations and trades see our Occupation pages or the skills assessment and assessing authorities information on the DIBP website.

Do you need an assessment for recognition of a part or incomplete qualification?

If you have attained part of an overseas qualification, have an incomplete overseas qualification or require recognition of work experience you can contact a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

An RTO will assess your skills against training package requirements. If you meet all the requirements they will issue you with a qualification under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). Where gaps are identified the RTO can issue you with a statement of attainment and may also be able to assist you with further training.

To search for an RTO or accredited course visit the website.

Do you need an assessment for recognition of a secondary (higher secondary) school qualification?

If you wish to seek recognition for your overseas secondary school qualifications, visit the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) website.

Do you need an assessment for undertaking further study in Victoria?

An OQU assessment does not qualify for admission into university or other education providers. You will need to apply directly to the university or education provider for an assessment.

Do you need an assessment to undertake general employment in Victoria?

The Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) provides the assessment of qualifications for the purposes of undertaking general work in Victoria. In some instances, an OQU assessment may also be required by a professional body.

Below is an example of an OQU Assessment Advice

Assessment Advice Sample

More Information