Bookmark and Share
  • Youtube

    Go to Youtube channel

Employees with Restricted Work Rights

Employers can hire temporary visa holders to fill their short-term vacancies.

It’s important to check that any visa holder has appropriate work rights. This can be checked through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service. For more information contact:

DIBP Employers’ Immigration Hotline: 1800 040 070

Web: Visa Entitlement Verification Online

International students or overseas graduates

International students who have recently graduated in Australia or overseas can provide a good source of skilled workers for vacancies in some areas of shortage.

International students and overseas graduates are often looking for part-time or full-time work and can offer a good source of recent Australian education and training, enthusiasm for their chosen career, and often recent work experience in hard to find occupations.

The following graduate visas provide work rights to international graduates:

  • Skilled Graduate (485) visa – this is a temporary visa for certain overseas students who have gained an Australian qualification (minimum of two years of study) in Australia.
  • Skilled Recognised Graduate (476) visa  – this is a temporary visa for graduates of recognised overseas educational institutions who have skills in demand in Australia.

Working holiday makers

The Working Holiday Program is primarily designed to encourage cultural exchange and closer ties between partner countries.  This visa allows young adults, aged 18-30, from partner countries to have an extended holiday in Australia, during which they can engage in short-term work and study.

Hiring a young adult travelling in Australia on a working holiday maker visa may be an option for some employers needing to fill short-term vacancies. A significant number of young adults travelling on a working holiday maker visa choose to work during their stay in Australia, and are able to do so in any occupation for which they have suitable qualifications.

Find out more about working holiday maker visas on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s website.