When you first arrive, you may need to find temporary accommodation. Victoria offers a range of temporary accommodation such as a hotel, motel or serviced apartment, until you find a place you want to live.
Types of accommodation
Serviced apartments are fully furnished and ready to live in.
Prices range from about A$120 to A$300 per night – the rate usually becomes cheaper the longer you stay.
Most serviced apartments in Melbourne are located in the inner and bayside suburbs.
Hotels and motels
Hotels and motels offer short-term accommodation.
Prices vary widely. There are options to suit a range of budgets.
Hotels and motels are available in metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.
Some caravan parks offer on-site caravans or holiday-style cabins.
These tend to be quite affordable (generally less than A$100 per night).
The cost per night may reduce if you book a longer stay.
Tips for temporary accommodation
- Book your accommodation in advance to secure a place to stay. There is a high demand for short-term accommodation especially during holidays and major international events.
- Find a storage facility in Victoria for goods that you have shipped over if necessary. Visit the Self Storage Association of Australasia website.
- Check the location of your temporary accommodation before you book, to see how close it is to:
- where you think you might want to live, or are likely to find a job
- any friends you have in Melbourne or Victoria
- public transport and other amenities Melbourne airport.
Visit the following websites:
The information or services, and the views expressed that may appear on any linked websites are not necessarily endorsed by the Skilled and Business Migration Program and the Victorian Government. It is recommended that you make your own inquiries as to the appropriateness and suitability of the information on this site for your particular circumstances.