Bookmark and Share
  • Youtube

    Go to Youtube channel

Using a Migration Agent or Lawyer

Migration agents

A migration agent can help with:

  • advice on the most appropriate visa to use 
  • completing visa application form(s)
  • preparing supporting documentation and information for the application(s)
  • submitting applications and dealing with the relevant Government departments on the applicant's behalf
  • providing advice on complex immigration matters.

It is important to note that using an agent or lawyer for visa applications will not influence the outcome of applications or speed up the process.

Finding a migration agent

In Australia, migration agents are required by law to be registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) in order to provide immigration assistance services.

Registered migration agents can be found through the following websites:   

If a skilled migrant is using a migration agent within their own country, it is important to make sure they are also registered with MARA or that they meet local laws and registration requirements in that country.

Cost of using a migration agent

The MARA website provides details of average fees charged by registered migration agents. Fees charged are usually determined between each client and their agent.

Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's (DIBP) website for more information about using a migration agent registered with the MARA.

Migration agent's obligations

All migration agents are expected to:

  • act professionally, have a good knowledge of migration laws and perform in a timely manner
  • detail all costs involved (including written confirmation)
  • keep the applicant up to date with the application and progress
  • keep information confidential
  • abide by the migration agents’ Code of Conduct.

Find more information on the MARA website

What to expect from a registered migration agent

What to expect from a registered migration agent - a video on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s ImmiTV YouTube Channel

Lawyers and representatives

An immigration lawyer or a representative from the following organisations may be able to assist and represent a skilled migrant for immigration matters: