Bookmark and Share
  • Youtube

    Go to Youtube channel

Sonographer Career Information

Occupation statistics

13,400 medical imaging professionals in Australia1

2,948 medical imaging professionals in Victoria (22%)1

Average gross weekly earnings AUD$1,6002

Average weekly hours 38.23

View the Job Outlook website for career and labour market research information about this occupation.

A sonographer prepares a patient for an ultrasound

Victoria is currently offering visa nomination for eligible sonographers and graduate sonographers. To be eligible to apply for nomination, sonographers must meet Victoria's minimum eligibility requirements and address the nomination assessment requirements for the occupation.  See the Occupation Lists for more information.

More detailed information about applying for Victorian Government visa nomination is available in the Visas and Immigration section.

Licensing and registration

To work as a sonographer in Victoria you must be registered with the Australasian Sonographer Accreditation Registry (ASAR).

For more information on registration, please contact:

Australasian Sonographer Accreditation Registry

PO Box 8323
Baulkham Hills BC
NSW, 2153, AUS
Telephone: +61 2 8850 1144
Fax: +61 2 8850 1177


Think about applying for licensing and registration before you arrive in Australia, once you have your visa, as the process can take some time.

Industry contacts

Professional bodies and industry associations are a good source of information about sonographers in Victoria.

Finding a job

Sonographers work in hospitals and radiology practices, both public and private.

Medical imaging professionals are mainly employed in Health Care and Social Assistance.3


We suggest that you only apply for jobs when your visa to live and work in Australia has been issued. The visa application process can take time, and employers are less likely to employ you if you don’t know when you will arrive in Australia and don’t have a work visa.

To search for Victorian recruiters who specialise in sonographers, visit the Recruitment and Consulting Services Association's Member Index.

For more general information on Victoria’s job market, including where and how to find jobs, and workplace culture, visit our Working and Employment section.

Migrating to Victoria

If you are not an Australian citizen you will need a visa to enter Australia. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is responsible for all Australian visas.

Some visas require state nomination.  Victoria offers state nomination for eligible skilled migrants and business migrants

Australian skills assessment 

For information on obtaining an Australian skills or qualification assessment, and the licensing or registration requirements for practicing your occupation in Australia, see the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

1 Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Job Outlook – Occupation pages – Employment levels. Retrieved April 5 2012 from

2 Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Job Outlook - Occupation pages. Retrieved April 5 2012 from Please note that wages will vary according to your level of skill and qualification. For more information about your wage earning potential, visit the job seeker sites listed above under Finding a Job.

3 Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Job Outlook - Occupation pages - Prospects for Employment. Retrieved April 5 2012 2012 from